Living Simply: My Life || The First Daughter of the First Daughter of the First Daughter

My Life || The First Daughter of the First Daughter of the First Daughter

8:10 PM

I read that people are nosy. And that you my readers want to know about my life. I have to agree, about the nosy part, because I often read articles (news or on blogs) that have intriguing titles. So, are you nosy?

I take it for granted that my readers and visitors know about me and my life. I share personal information in my reviews. You can piece together my life from them. But then you would have to read all of them....who has time for that?? So here today, I will tell you something personal.

Recently I lost my grandma, just weeks after my daughter (dubbed Tubbette) turned one. I regret not visiting her in the hospital. She spent her last birthday in there. My excuse was that I didn't want to take two littles who already have lots of skin and body issues into a place full of sickness. It was an easy excuse.

Two months later, she was gone. Apparently, she had a further case of dementia than the family realized.  The anesthesia that was used on her minor surgery caused a strong downturn in her brain function. Basically, she went from a sweet, smiling, nagging you to "eat something" grandma to a shell, unable to eat or move.

We said goodbye last week. It was a sad time for me. I grew up around my grandma. I can remember sounds and smells and objects from her house in Guyana. I remember her cooking fresh crab curry, with crabs that were brought to the house in a net and hung outside before she cooked them. I can smell the live crabs and see them moving, jostling against each other. I can hear their shells hitting one another. I remember her scolding her youngest, my aunt, when I wanted to play with her puzzles. I was just 6 or 7 or 8. I knew I could get away with anything. I was the first grand child.

The funeral made me have to explain death to my very inquisitive and astute kindergarten son. First he was very sad that great granny was not going to get better. Through all our discussions about death and sickness and life, I realized that this was my therapy. Tubby made me forget that I will never taste her food again. Never have to remind her that he is allergic to milk and can't have that brand name chocolate bar.


I will never forget that she got to see her great grandchild, the first daughter of the first daughter of her first daughter. And we took a picture or two. They weren't great, but the memory is.

What is the fondest memory you have of a loved one no longer in this world?

P.S. Thanks to Allison at Intro NYC for inspiring me to share myself with you.

Please click! A visit a day boosts my blog ranking at Top Mommy Blogs - The Best Mommy Blog Directory Ever!


Christine is a multi-cultural mama living in a bilingual household with her husband and two children. Before entering the blogging world, she worked in the corporate world. She currently spends her days exploring and learning with her children while trying to make every day earth day. Her dream is to retire in the sunshine of a pristine New Zealand shore.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

0 comments